Friday, May 20, 2016

Started our summer adventure on Wednesday May 18, 2016.
This trip had been planned for a long time.  The itinerary initially included all of the Western states - from Texas to New Mexico, then Colorado, to Utah, then Nevada, Arizona, California, up to Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, then down to Nebraska, Kansas, Arkansas, across to Tennessee then Georgia before heading home to Florida. 
But, we wanted some more days in our anchor locations of San Diego and Whidbey Island so we cut Colorado, Utah and Nevada.  Now we have some extra days for exploring San Diego and Whidbey areas.  
We packed up and closed down the house using Adri's checklist.  She hired a house watcher to watch over the house and keep the plants watered as well.  So many little things to take care of whenever you leave home for a long time!

So, we finally left early on Wednesday May 18 around 7 a.m. and had a filling breakfast at Cracker Barrel.  Then on the road.  Nice easy drive up 75.  Stopping for gas or rest every two hours or so keeps us from getting too cramped.  We stopped at mile marker 356 exit, the usual turn off for the 301 bypass to Jacksonville.  Gassed up and on the way to Tallahassee.  Stopped just prior for gas and rest room due to too much coffee.  
Stopped for lunch at Kacey's buffet on Monroe street but it was closed for renovation, so went to Red Lobster.  It was a disaster, the service sucked, the food was cardboard.  Awful!  Never again there.
Back on the road to Pensacola.  Adriana made reservation at the Lavelle road Hampton Inn, which was on summer rates.  Should have made reservation at the Navy Lodge.  My mistake.  Still a good room, ok sleep, and nice breakfast.  
Back on the road, I 10 to Houston on Thursday morning.  We had to be at Larissa's by 5 p.m. and the GPS said 9 hours.  I built in an hour so we were on the road at 7.  
I 10 goes to San Diego via I 8 so it's an easy drive overall.  The road through Louisiana is amazing for all the bridges and elevated roads through the swamps.  Didn't have much trouble until we got into Texas, after Beaumont the rain came in and was a real bother all the way into Spring!  Heavy down pours and the rainy roads often slowed us down to a crawl and the 5 p.m. arrival didn't look too promising.  However, the extra hour cushion worked and we were on time.  
After we arrived Marina had a concert with her school choir!  She had a solo which she nailed.  The usual Spring musical was well done for a middle school choir.  

So, here we are, Friday May 20.  
Yoona's birthday!  He's 32 and hopefully on his way in his career.  If he can stay focused and on task.  

Marina stayed home today to visit with Abby.  So we went to breakfast at IHOP and had a good filling breakfast.  Then she wanted to go to the Woodlands Mall, in particular the Market Street.  Which we did.  Turns out she is having her birthday party next month at a store where she and her friends can make hand made cosmetics and soaps.  Neat store, with lots of nice things they can make together.  She had taken her meds and so she was subdued and just wanted to come home afterwards.

Tonight we go out to a steak buffet with Stephen and Larissa.  Should be a most interesting experience.  

We leave Sunday morning for Ft. Stockton TX for one night, Monday morning to Carlsbad Caverns for a short visit, then onto Tucson, and Fairchild AFB for the night.  Adri meets her long ago friend there.  Then Tuesday to North Island and the Navy Lodge there for three days of visiting and exploring.  
Should be fun for sure.


2 comments:

  1. Mr.Houck...god it has been a long time since I last adressed you. I'm not particularly sure if you remember me but, my name is Jose Vasquez and I was your student the year before msa(what I feel was wrongly) dismissed you. You taught me in your science class. I feel you had a significant impact on my life. I had no real regard or any real faith in myself as a student so I strove for less than mediocrity in my first two years of highschool. I remembered the words you spoke to your class about us being whatever we want and being able to do what we want and academic achievement was the way to get what you want. I remembered those words and while it had been some time since I seen you but I still have a great amount of respect for you I have still reigns true. I was wondering if I may get your phone number or email to keep in contact with you that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time, sir

    ReplyDelete